Sunday 21 October 2012

Making Tacos part 1: Taco Seasoning

I thought I'd put something a bit more 'elaborate' on my blog for a change. But to keep it simple, I'll keep the different 'steps' for this recipe separate. I've mentioned before that we all like Tex Mex food, see also my recipe for quesadillas. Most children also like taco shells, so I've started to make tacos every now and again.

Instead of buying all the salsas and the seasoning, I make them all from scratch so I really know what's in them. The only thing I buy ready made at the supermarket are the taco shells.




Taco Seasoning (spicy!)

Approx. 30 grams of taco seasoning
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried fried onions (or onion powder)
  • 1/4 teaspoon pili-pili (crushed red pepper flakes)
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper

In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, dried onions or onion powder, pili-pili flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Store in an airtight container.

2 comments:

  1. The start already sounds very nice..looking forward to part 2!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! The next steps will be about making salsa. I know you already know how to make guacamole, but I will probably make my next post about that since maybe not everyone knows how to do that. Then I will do a post with 2 recipes for tomato salsas and then 1 with a recipe for a salsa with corn and red bell pepper. The last part will be 2 different tacos, one with minced meat and one with chicken, but you can also make tacos with fish, obviously.

    ReplyDelete