Friday 4 January 2013

Crispy tortilla bowls

Before we had children I used to regularly make crispy tortilla bowls when we had friends over for dinner. You can use the bowls to serve a hot or cold starter or a side-dish. I tend to serve them with a cold Chinese chicken salad or a hot noodle dish. I found this recipe years ago in an Annabel Langbein cookbook. She's a cook from New-Zealand, but one day I found a Dutch version of one of her cookbooks in a bookstore here in Belgium and it has become one of my cooking bibles.

I hadn't made these in a while, but recently I suddenly thought that the children would probably love this, and they did.


Crispy tortilla bowls


All you need is (whole wheat) small or medium sized flour tortillas, some small oven tins (I use my souffle tins and some small glass oven tins that fit into them, see pictures), and an oven, obviously.

And this is how you do it:

- Preheat the oven to 200 C (180 C for a fan-assisted oven).
- Put the tortillas in small oven tins. You will need to fold them a bit, although they tend to do that automatically if you stuff them in. Just be careful not to tear them.
- Now put another tin on top of the tortilla to keep it in place.

This is what it looks like:


- Put your tortilla bowl(s) in the oven for 10 mins.
- Take them out and lower the oven temperature to 180 C (160 C for a fan-assisted oven).
- Remove the tortilla bowls from the tins. The bottom will still be soft.
- Put them on an oven tray and bake them again, for 10 to 15 mins.
- When you take them out again, the entire bowl should be crispy.

Now you can fill them with a salad or a hot (side-)dish. I will soon post the recipes for the Chinese chicken salad and a noodle dish that can be served in the bowls.

No comments:

Post a Comment